April 24, 2007

Protecting Your Children


Today I discovered the joys of Parental Controls. I have had a love/hate relationship with the internet in regards to my children and their access to it. I want them to be able to use it for school sites, research, etc but I don't want them seeing things they shouldn't see. (The photos of the VTech shooter on every news site is a good example of what I don't want them seeing) So I have denied computer access to my poor children for a while now. But today I discovered the Vista Parental Control area. I was able to go in and limit the ratings of the games they can play, limit the time they can be on the computer and make it so the internet is off limits. Of course, if someone needs to go to a specific website (such as spellingtime.com) I can put it on an approved site list. The kids have dozens of computer games that we've bought them (like Cluefinders, Jumpstart Kindergarten and Carmen Sandiego) that they can play.


No comments: